Diabetes - Type I
Type 1 diabetes:
- Occurs when the pancreas does not produce insulin
- Represents around 10% of all cases of diabetes and is one of the most common chronic childhood conditions
- Onset is usually abrupt and the symptoms obvious
- Symptoms can include excessive thirst and urination, unexplained weight loss, weakness and fatigue and blurred vision
- Is managed with insulin injections several times a day or the use of an insulin pump.
Source: Diabetes Australia website
Please go to Diabetes Australia's website for more information.